"Wanderlust"

(wŏn'dər-lŭst') def: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world (Oxford Dictionary)

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day 5: oh my goodness!

(This blog is coming 'Twitter-style', thoughts as I think them. I'm too pooped-a-pilgrim to edit and I wanted to post as I don't know when I'll get online again)


A day not to be missed! Though I almost did!! Going to bed last night I had settled on taking the 7:55am train in the morning, but after lying there 30mins or so I thought, "well, why not set the alarm for 5:30am and see if I feel like getting the early train". Well I did, barely. Somehow I was 9mins later than planned leaving the hotel (making PB sandwiches?) so I walked at a very brisk pace to the station and made it with 5 mins to spare! Now I'm winded and still have 32.2km to go!

Sun doesn't come up till 7am, guess there's too much daylight savings here, so will be very little scenery to look at

This time through the train tunnel I lost 4 degrees...

I had a cafe con leche at the Cercedilla station, just to make sure both the sun and I were up for the walk. Started 7:19am

Big Camino info board about 30mins past town, what good does that do? Telling you were to get sellos? But it does have nice map of day's walk and elevation charts(!) 600m climb

Right after is Fuenfria info center and sign of services. Then get to a board marking all the different hikes offered in the park. I thought the Camino was the same as the green dotted route so i started on a nice forest path but got worried as I didn't see any yellow arrow so I crossed up to road and there they were! A slave to the arrows, I followed the road, (Waah, I want to walk in forest!)

Big park= benches, carparks, garbage cans, info signs, trails

Trails: Red dots, white dots, yellow dots, green dots, and occasionally yellow arrow. It's a cacophony of color
 
On Calzada Romana now, ancient roman road. Gotta hope it's deteriorated over the years else that they had good shock absorbers!

Some big ass paving stones and steep, how many slaves did it take to build this?

Uphill scramble, walking poles good for preventing twisted ankles and for "push off" and "pull up". This walk is one of coolest things I've done.  Sound of water rushing below as I relentlessing climb up and up...

Palm Desert training came into use today! I'm pretty good on the uphills, and 600m=2000' so not too bad, though is straight up. Some weenies' made trail alongside the big pavers. Can't handle the climb??

I'm a weenie.

Never going to get there if I keep chatting to you, but typing does give me a chance to catch my breath

Can't belive how lucky I am with the weather. Hardly a cloud in the sky, just took off gloves and ear muff/bandana. Couldn't see past 1300' yesterday in mist (train was level at 1200')

My god the Romans were industrious bastards, the train sure found an easier route to Segovia

Aha! The green dotted route does meet up with La Calzada Romana, but who would want to miss the glory of walking where ancient footsteps tread?


think that´s Fuenfria peak

Cercedilla valley















2.5hrs from station to top. Bit of an 'oh' when summit cause first thing you see is a road, then it hits you that you've made it. Last very bit is on the Calzada Borbonica (they needed two of these roads?!!) and is devilishly steep but if you turn around = great view of valley where came from, and cross over the crest, you see valley below where you are going. Very nice plaque honoring Jose Antonio Cimadevila Covelo, d.2001, who was instrumental in revitalizing this Camino.

Crisp up here! Fleece is going back on.

Thought I was alone in this world and two Spanish hikers just popped over the crest! :(

Now a herd of cows just arrived, will I not get any peace?

Lots of the dotted trails arrive here. Envy the locals for having such gorgeous hiking in their backyard

lovely descent
Good thing I didn't drop my drawers for a wee when I thought of it, 3 bikers just whizzed by.

The way over and down is glorious: slightly sloping down, grass covered, soft with pine needles & lovely pine tree smell

Casa Eraso ruins
Lovely plateau about 2kms down with some old ruins and great valley views. Casa Eraso, from what I gather, Felipe II ordered it built in the 16th C. As a resting stop in the difficult journey over Fuenfria. I would love to sit here for a while to enjoy the historic ambience and the stunning views but I've many miles to go before I sleep.

logging road or not, still nice for a rest.
Pilgrim Notes: you come to an open field with evidence of logging and then its 1km on asphalt with no arrows. Then up onto a dirt road on right, maybe CR? Or just logging road. Short stone walls on side but no pavers. Still, easy on feet and very peaceful. Can hear stream rushing in valley below. It will be a shame to get back to civilization...

Scratch that, biker just went by, I guess you're never that far away after all

from forest to farm to Segovia
PN: Then cross a paved road, newly painted arrows point to follow road, but bollard and pole sign point into logging area. I took the awful road as couldnt see anymore arrows in logging area, 1-2 pounding kms, at bend by farm it crosses road into rough open field, bushwack down, to a gentler path. See markers where the ancient aqueduct ran into Segovia.

Click, click, click - my mind is full of this sound: my walking poles with each step, fingers typing on my iPhone, counting the kilometers in my head...


trudge to Segovia
 It's a very long 8km trudge along a dirt track to the outskirts of town, then another 2+ to the tourist center. Arrows pretty much stop so continue straight to 2nd roundabout, go down the left street (left of park), next roundabout go thru then stay to right as road 'vees' (onto Calle Jose Zorilla). Go straight on this road all the way to the Tourist Office (you'll see aqueduct just before you get there). Sello apparently available at both tourist offices.

Makes for a very long day and a very tired pilgrim.

It's supposed to be another 32km day tomorrow, with full pack, might need to rethink that.

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful pictures and delightful narrative. I have so enjoyed your entries and am following your trip and keen interest and a longing to start my own Camino. The boulder laden road reminded me of some of the hikes we did together.

    ReplyDelete