"Wanderlust"

(wŏn'dər-lŭst') def: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world (Oxford Dictionary)

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 29: Santiago!!

Last morning on the Camino. Bill is sad and is hiding behind a callus....

Another cool, misty morning start. It was lovely and peaceful and a perfect start to my last day on the road. The path meandered behind small farms with their orchards and gardens, thru tiny hamlets, while continually criss-crossing the highway, just a reminder that modern civilization was coming closer and closer.


There's a lot of crosses, monuments and rest stops here, I guess they're worried about pilgrims making the last 20kms?

I turned a corner in Arco, a typical end-of-stage town, and whack, right into pilgrim morning rush hour. I merged into a pack of Germans and we hightailed it thru the forest. Just 15kms now to Santiago, maybe they're running to make Mass?

Luckily for me, a bar showed up at exactly the 2-hour mark, my preferred break time, so I eased over to the exit lane and dropped out of the race.



My plan was foiled! The pilgrim numbers are just too strong, so my 100 new friends and I went
up thru an old logging area, alongside more highway, past the end of the airport, and into another forest where I finally kicked it up a notch to lose them and sped-walked the rest of the way into Santiago (with one little beer stop 5kms out, a girl has to recharge her batteries!)



The little mileage markers which had so diligently marked off every 1/2km for the last several days suddenly stop at about 12kms. I think they realized they had the distance incorrect, or at least it was only marking to the outskirts of town because the Way goes on and on and on over nasty sidewalk until you finally reach the Old Town of Santiago. Fortunately I've done the slog before so I knew what to expect but I could practically hear the other pilgrims thinking: are we there yet?! as they pounded off the last 5kms.

Santiago! I made it!!

The town was crazy busy, with people bumping elbows as they window-shopped and checked out the cafe offerings in the narrow arcaded streets. I ended up getting to the post office 20mins too late and now can't retrieve my package till Monday morning! I was about to put myself in a foul mood when I came across some friendly faces having an alfresco lunch. Needless to say I joined them for several hours of good cheer and chilled bottles of rosé wine.


I was supposed to meet Mickey and Rob again for dinner but my hour nap ended up lasting from 6pm-4am!! Guess I needed the rest...

Well, my Camino is now over but there will soon be new roads to travel (just not on foot!)
Buen Camino.

3 comments:

  1. Well done, Allison, even though the last few days were too crowded for you - we can relate to that! Tell those day-trippers and all the others, to stay at least 2 days behind you, so you have the trail to yourself!
    Now, enjoy the trip with Sheila and keep us posted on your adventures in Germany and UK.
    XOX,M &A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog was very enjoyable reading, and the added photos are excellent. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog!!! :) Can I ask you how much whole this pilgrim-trip cost for one month? :)

    ReplyDelete