"Wanderlust"

(wŏn'dər-lŭst') def: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world (Oxford Dictionary)

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 20: Hanging Out In Astorga

I took the bus to Astorga this morning - thought it'd be best to rest 2 days before tackling the mountains that lie just ahead. Astorga is 16kms further down the Camino and much larger town than Orbigo, so it had a little more to offer.


And it has chocolate to offer!! Every other store seems to offer specialty chocolate; whether in shapes and figures, or in various colors. There's even a chocolate museum! I resisted completely, but that's only because I still had a king-sized Nestle bar still in my pack.


How many colors of chocolate are there?

Astorga is a nice little touristy town, fully enclosed by a city wall, with a majestic cathedral and modern architectural gem beside it by Gaudi, the Spanish genius. There's lots of little stores to peer into and plenty of plazas to sip coffee in while whiling away the time.

Even a Ham Museum!
Many of the pilgrims who were in the albergue last night have popped up here too, especially all the Canadians. Actually, the 2 sisters (age 18 & 20!), and the 2 from Calgary are sharing my bunk room. There's also 2 Koreans, a new Canuck, a Spaniard, and a mystery lady I haven't met yet. Typically, asking someone their nationality is the first question asked, so it's how we identify each other.

I met my first Finn while waiting for space in the kitchen. I had bought some pesto sauce at the grocery and was just going to use some communal pasta, while she had salad and tortellini but no sauce = dinner for 2!! Brenna, the older sister, joined us and we ate al fresco on the albergues' veranda, enjoying conversation and the view out over the countryside.

Busy kitchen!  Annamarie (my chef) is far right...

Pasta seems to be the go-to self-cook dinner-of-choice. It's easy, quick and cheap. Some pilgrims just do the salami, cheese, olives & baguette route; while others are even more adventurous. Fancy omelettes, pork chops with mushroom sauce, even sautéed mussels were on the menu tonight. At some point going to a restaurant has to be easier...


Eli Wallach had cornered me this afternoon on the street, asking for a dinner date. I thought I had politely blown him off but he came by our table saying he had waited for me...with the language barrier I couldn't tell if he was serious or not....

That'll be me on the road tomorrow!

Oh, shins feel good so back on trail for a trial tomorrow

Thanks, Allison
Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Every day is an adventure, but that is what makes traveling so addictive.
    Are you walking the rest of the Camino this time, or staging it?
    Each step is one closer to your goal, and am glad you are taking time to enjoy the experiences of a once-in-a-lifetime venture. People sure make for many of the adventures.
    Am walking with you all the way (in spirit!). Al gets tired just reading your blog!
    Love from us both M&A

    ReplyDelete