"Wanderlust"

(wŏn'dər-lŭst') def: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world (Oxford Dictionary)

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Day 18: The Race Is On

Leon was a lovely slice of city-life for a day. I'm not sure it it was because it was a tourist city or because there were so many fellow pilgrims around, but it had much nicer vibe than Valladolid. A little sight-seeing, a little shopping and a fantastic lunch at McDonalds! :)

It was a very late start in the morning as there were a few last minute things to buy, so we took the quicker road route today (34kms?) Absolutely nothing to comment about other than we had lunch in the shade of a gas station, and my shin splints reared their long-forgotten ugly head. I actually hitchhiked the last 6kms to Hospital de Orbigo as it was already 5pm while Mike and Estefan walked the whole way. A nice car mechanic gave me a lift - and a souvenir polo shirt and baseball cap, to boot!

The albergue here is absolutely full, as is the other in town; whereas the little village 6kms back had 3 empty ones. It seems the pilgrims are indeed bunching up in the larger towns and at the end of 'stages'. I've plenty of time left to walk so I'll have to do some creative planning to start avoiding these crowds.

<pics San Miguel albergue>

Thanks, Allison
Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment