"Wanderlust"

(wŏn'dər-lŭst') def: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world (Oxford Dictionary)

Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 27: Getting Closer

I woke up at 6am and couldn't see a thing out the window, so I crawled back into bed until 6:30.
It was a cool, breezy, damp, misty morning; and a cool, breezy, overcast day. Perfect for walking.

So I did. 34kms today. The Way was great first thing, but then became rather monotonous passing alongside the highway for most of the day. Pictures and thoughts were few...

It's odd, at this stage all the veteran walkers fall into one of two categories:
Fit And Fast or Hobbled And Struggling. The kicker is, some (like yours truly) fall into both. I've 3 weeks training under my pack and am finding walking addictive, I want to walk, I want to watch the kms click down, and walk further each day - maybe endorphins? But I'm hampered by late-game injuries. Luckily blisters heal quickly...

I'm spending the night in Palas de Rei, at mile-marker 65kms, so I'm set up to arrive Saturday in Santiago if I push it, or Sunday if I don't. I booked into the crowded municipal albergue, and who is sharing my room? - the 3 amigos! Miguel is back walking again after a day off, and they decided as a group they were crazy to attempt 40kms/day as they were all suffering some kind of ailment, so they will take an extra day and arrive SdC on Sunday.

We went out for a group dinner again with Emilio, another pilgrim in our room. Again, conversation was mostly in English, I think I'm good practice for them - they said they've forgotten some words in just the 2 days apart! I think Caesar will send me some pics.

Bill was like a pebble in my shoe all day...wait, that was a pebble. Sorry Bill, I take back all the bad things I said about you....

Thanks, Allison
Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment