"Wanderlust"

(wŏn'dər-lŭst') def: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world (Oxford Dictionary)

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Day 17: Faroe Islands


So the last post: "back again" referred to being back in Reykjavik, but that was just a pit stop. I'm not done traveling yet!

Here I am, not yet 2 kilometers from the airport in the Faroe Islands and I'm already taking photos! This place is green! From the looks of things, I don't expect to see many trees while I'm here, I guess those all disappeared long ago.


The Faroes are made up of 18 islands - the big close together ones connected by bridges and tunnels, the outer islands by ferry and helicopter. They lie between Iceland and Norway, NW of Scotland. Only 49,000 people live here so that means there's lots of wide open space for me to explore. I've rented a car for the time I'm here so I'll 3 full days of driving to check it all out!

I'm staying in student housing on the outskirts of the main town, Torshavn. The students are on summer break, so they open up the housing to tourists for 2 months each summer. They've had problems with my building apparently - flooding that went unnoticed for who knows how long, so the rooms are not in great condition. The manager was very apologetic and offered free dinner (& a beer) for each night I'm here. I'm cool with that. 

No evidence of anything but wear & tear here. I've a private bathroom too but it's one of those shower in the toilet kinda deals :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment