"Wanderlust"

(wŏn'dər-lŭst') def: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world (Oxford Dictionary)

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Day 11: Reykjavik


                The Sol sculpture in the outer harbor 

A gorgeous morning for a walk! The sun was bright and the ocean sparkling so I walked the length of Reykjavik's harbor - there's a wonderful seawall that lines the bay so I was able to walk a full hour in each direction.



               The iconic Harpa concert hall

I noticed a little red tour boat going out about once an hour during my walk so I headed over to the inner harbor on my return to check it out and there were all kinds of whale & puffin watching tour boats all lined up for my business.  I chose a cute little historic fishing boat for another puffin/harbor tour.
          Only 3 of us on board - a semi-private cruise!
         Trust me, those are actually puffins. One really needs a telephoto lens if they're going birding!

Next was lunch at the most famous hot dog stand in the world. Or so I'm guessing. Bill Clinton ate one here back in the '90's and tourists have been lining up ever since to have one with the "works". Not quite sure all what's in there but there's 3-4 types of sauce, both fresh and dried onion and a lamb/beef/pork dog. It was pretty darn tasty!



A sink-to-the-bottom-of-my-stomach lunch set me up perfectly for my next adventure: Midnight Sun scuba diving at the Silfra fissure at Thingvellir park (part of the Golden Circle tour). It's dry suit diving - a new (and I'm sure only a one-time) thing for me. And the water's about 2-3°!!! But a once-in-a-lifetime chance to dive a crack between 2 continents.



No comments:

Post a Comment