"Wanderlust"

(wŏn'dər-lŭst') def: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world (Oxford Dictionary)

Monday, April 2, 2012

Day 6: to Zafra, 25 kms


A simple day of just easy walking on wide dirt farm roads. 2 streams to fjord but luckily it's been very dry this winter and the little rocks that were strategically placed as stepping stones were sufficient to make the crossing.


how cute is that sign!

I'm spending the night in the city of Zafra which comes as bit of a culture shock after a week of small villages.  The Camino directional arrows are very small and far between here; at one point I entered a busy shopping street and had to ask two policeman the way to the Camino. They pointed to the street right behind them - the arrow was at street level, blocked by someone's pant leg!

After some machinations, I found the Albergue Turistico. I lucked out with a room with just 2 single beds, and the shower+sink in the room.  The building is a converted convent so nothing special on the outside but rather lovely on the inside with terrazzo floors, a commercial kitchen (with heat running down one wall - the only warm place in the airy building!), and a TV lounge, all around an open courtyard.

albergue's lovely courtyard

I arrived about 1:30pm and went directly to the supermarket and bought a lovely quiche for lunch/dinner, a box of vino tinto and supplies for tomorrow's walk and so I'm going to stay put for the evening and chat as best I can in French and Spanish and non-existent German to my fellow peregrinos.


route planning!


Thanks, Allison
Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment