"Wanderlust"

(wŏn'dər-lŭst') def: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world (Oxford Dictionary)

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Day 17: to San Pedro de Rozado, 28.3 kms

So I spent last night in the American annex with an Australian girl! She showed me the way to the hostel last night and tagged along on my tour and invited herself to stay! Can't really blame her jumping at the opportunity for a quiet night's sleep as there were only the two of us there versus 10 in the dorm room.

There were torrential rains during the night so I was a bit worried about the mud situation today.  The day dawned cloudy and very cold. Luckily (for Friday the 13th!) I found another fleece in the donation box so all but my face was warm enough. The cold wind started my waterworks again, so much so that my sight was blurred for the first hour. I had to hope that the pilgrim I was following knew where she was going!   I didn't have enough tissues handy to stem the tide so I just let them free fall; can you dehydrate from too much crying? I would have taken a sip of water but I'm sure my water bladder was probably frozen....

After 75 minutes of wide open fields, the landscape changed to scrub and trees and the winding sandy/muddy road into a rocky trail that climbed sharply up Picos Duenas towards a cluster of wind turbines.  The strong wind had blown most of the clouds  away so I found a protected spot amongst some rocks and sat in the sun for a nice midway snack with a great view of everything below.

What goes up, must go down, and as I've said before, on the Camino it always goes down steeply.  Down thru more leafless trees still held in winter-mode.  Or perhaps they're dead? Could they be strangled by the lichen?

The path fell down to a small paved road which the Camino paralleled on a nice dirt path.  A windy way thru more dead forest and out into beautiful pasture and hedgerowed farms.  I was feeling sorry for myself this morning but my mood blew away with the clouds and I quite enjoyed the latter half of the walk. And I'm ecstatic that I've found the '2nd' albergue, El Miliario,  which no other pilgrim has yet. They all stopped at the first industrial-looking one.  I might have this cozy little bungalow all to myself tonight!!

Thanks, Allison
Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment