"Wanderlust"

(wŏn'dər-lŭst') def: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world (Oxford Dictionary)

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Day 18: to Salamanca, 23.3kms


It had rained during the night and it was still raining in the morning; all morning, in fact.  It made walking an obstacle course, constantly searching for high ground or patches of grass to avoid the sticky mud.  A frigid wind blew constantly and it was really just a miserable day.  I walked the whole way straight through,  5 hours long, as stopping wasn't really an option and my legs were paying for it in the afternoon.

Luckily the sun did break through as I approached Salamanca so I had a scenic, if not warm, approach to the city.  My albergue is right around the corner from the twin cathedrals and I squeaked in just in time to drop my pack off as they close between 1-4pm. 

I strolled the pedestrian street during a break in the weather, and nicely timed lunch during a deluge of rain.  I chose a restaurant with wi-fi of course, and during my meal I booked my plane ticket home.  Yup, I'm going back to California 500 kms in.  

We've had a quite devastating fire at our home in California, it's pretty much totaled but luckily no one was injured and absolutely all our possessions are safe as we had moved out a couple of weeks ago in preparation for renovations.  So although there's not much I can do but help liaise with mom & the insurance companies, I'd rather be there than trudging along in the cold and rain in Spain.  I'll spend a day in Zamora tomorrow, then 1.5 days in Madrid before flying back Wednesday.

Thanks, Allison
Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Hi Allison,
    Caminando here (from the Camino de Madrid.I went back to it again, I liked it so much).

    Glad to see you were back on the trail and sorry to read about the house fire. Keep on walking after the present difficulties have passed. My best wishes about all that.

    I was on the Levante in April but fell ill with Hepatitus E - a souvenir of Indoa where I was in winter. So I stopped the walk and ended up in hospital.

    I hope you can get back one day for another camino...it seems the weather was very wet this year. It was fine in April when I started in Valencia.

    Buen viaje!

    ReplyDelete