"Wanderlust"

(wŏn'dər-lŭst') def: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world (Oxford Dictionary)

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Day 8: Wandering By Waterfalls


These thundering falls are Skógafoss, the termination of what was to have been my 4-day backpacking trip down from the highlands of Iceland. That was one of the first things I booked to do when I decided to come here, long before my sprained ankle threw a wrench into my travel plans. I was quite chuffed therefore that I had left yesterday's storm behind me, and was able to actually walk a bit of that same trail. The trail which happens to start 572 steps up behind the falls - that was a warmup!  This happened to be a hugely scenic part of the Laugavegur Trail as it was full of waterfalls - 20 in fact, I lost count of how many I managed to see...

I only turned around when the path turned too treacherous for me; however, I didn't envy those hikers continuing on as gale force winds and possibly snow were forecast inland! Glad again I wasn't out there in it!

I have guesthouse reservations for the next 2 nights so I only had a short distance to cover today. Waterfalls were the main attraction, plus whatever roadside sights that took my fancy...


Not sure what these are, but the guys brought them from the Czech Republic and were having a devil of a time in the wind
                                   Seljalandfoss
                             which you can walk behind!
                                  Gljúfuárfoss right next door
View of Eyjafjallajokull from my guesthouse - it's the one that erupted in 2010. Luckily the wind blew the ash in the opposite direction so these folks were only displaced 2 days.

Rain is forecast for tomorrow- we'll see what sights I manage in that.





No comments:

Post a Comment