"Wanderlust"

(wŏn'dər-lŭst') def: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world (Oxford Dictionary)

Monday, June 22, 2015

Day 2: Western Snaefellsnes


Raudfeldsgja Gorge. Coffee and a walk at the crack of 10am. I passed this yesterday afternoon as it was all in the shadows and there were lots of tourists in the parking lot but I had it to myself this morning. A creek comes out of a small crack in the cliffs forming a gorge that you can slither in to. High water flow and a big plug of snow stopped me from getting beyond the first corner but I guess it could be neat.

There's a great 2km walk that connects the towns of Hellnar and Arnarstapi so I walked that and back.
                   Budir Church

And then a little sightseeing before my next adventure:
Londrangar - legend says 2 fighting trolls
forgot to hide once the sun came up and they turned to stone
                Malarrif lighthouse 

Well, last night I went on top of Snaefellsjokull, today I'm going under!


Vatnshellir Cave - 1000's of years ago lava filled this cave system and the stalagmites are unique as their caused by lava bursting up, not water dripping down.

More short hikes into lava fields; more walks to black stone beaches, more mini craters (one road dead ended in a parking lot right inside a crater!). As the day got later the sunlight just got more spectacular. By 7pm I was tired and wanted to find a place for the night but everything just looked so beautiful in the soft light I kept driving till 9:15!






No comments:

Post a Comment