"Wanderlust"

(wŏn'dər-lŭst') def: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world (Oxford Dictionary)

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Day 1: Funchal, Madeira



New art, Old Town. New Town, old buildings. Funchal, the capital of Madeira, is a delightful mix of history, art, tourism, architecture and nature. I arrived to my hotel right about lunchtime but my room wasn't ready yet so I set out to find a good place for a leisurely lunch. I knew Old Town was down to my left so I wandered in that direction and just happened upon Rue de Santa Maria, the oldest street in Funchal, circa 1430. After major flooding in 2010 the government asked local artists to decorate the doorways as a way to revitalize the area and it became a great draw for tourists. It was full of bars and shops and restaurants and great for people-watching!





With nothing on my agenda except turning in early, I strolled back over to the New Town to see what was what and to get my bearings before jet lag took over and I collapsed back at my hotel at 4pm with a bottle of red wine and a packet of chips to tide me over for dinner!



No comments:

Post a Comment