"Wanderlust"

(wŏn'dər-lŭst') def: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world (Oxford Dictionary)

Sunday, July 20, 2014

JMT Day 11: And Then There Was One


Jo & Misty decided at Muir Trail Ranch that weren't going to finish the JMT; the only problem was how to get home. MTR is on the west side of the Sierras, and not close to anything, so it turned out the easiest (and most scenic) route for them was to do the 4-day hike south exiting at Bishop Pass. As I had a deadline to keep with my next resupply and miles to make, I headed out solo this morning.

The first hour out of MTR was pretty forgettable, just a rocky trail beside water rushing through a rocky ravine. Then as the sun got hotter, the trail got steeper until it turned into 1.8 miles of thigh-crushing rocky switchbacks until it finally plateaued at the Evolution Meadow. With a bear canister bursting with 6 days of food, my pack was at the heaviest it'd be for the whole trip, and my whole body was feeling it. I stopped for a half hour rest creekside to have lunch & soak my toes

only to have to switch to Crocs just a little further down the trail for a 60' wet crossing of Evolution Creek so the feet got a double dose of cooling today!  The trail was then flatter and roamed between well-spaced pines and sunny granite boulder flats = never any real escape from the heat.

I finally turned a corner into McClure Meadow and everything just got better. (See pic above) The view towards the end of the valley was stunning, and before me a lazy shallow river so inviting I stripped off my pants & shoes and plopped down in the middle of it for a refreshing lazy man's laundry! I laid down on a granite flat to dry and almost fell asleep. The draw to spend the night right where I lay was very strong but if I did I'd be hitting Muir Pass too late in the afternoon tomorrow to still make a decent campsite so I so very reluctantly packed up at 3:50pm to hit the trail for another 3 miles.

As tired as I was, this was my favorite hiking of the day: lots of shade, the birds were chirping, a soft wind blew in tree tops, the wildflowers reappeared and thankfully the sun was at my back. 

Another favorite campsite:

Today's Miles: 13.5?

I met a podiatry student hiking the JMT northbound today. She stopped me for a 10 minute survey on feet, blisters, general aches & pains. Certainly one way to find a test group!




No comments:

Post a Comment