"Wanderlust"

(wŏn'dər-lŭst') def: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world (Oxford Dictionary)

Sunday, July 20, 2014

JMT 17 & 18: A Marathon Ending

Waking up at my little sanctuary in the trees, all I could think of is "I'm so close to the end. So close to showers and real food and a soft mattress. So close to not being so darned cold in the morning. Could I finish today?" And so I got up and started walking. And I walked and walked and didn't stop till 11am, when I had to get my "Wag Bag" at the Crabtree Meadow junction and decided to have a bite of lunch. And then I walked again till 1pm when I stopped for a wee break to stock up on 3 litres of water at Guitar Lake and contemplate Mt. Whitney before me. And then I walked to the top of the continental United States.


Whitney Junction is where the JMT meets the Whitney route; one hangs a left here to hike 2 miles to the top, then returns and then goes right to Trail Crest and then down the other side. Because you return to the same spot, everyone drops their pack and carries a small waist pack or something with just their valuables, water & jacket for the final 1000' assault on the peak.

It was the strangest thing! Walking without 30 lbs. on my back. At first I wobbled like a 109 year old drunken cowboy getting off a month-long cattle drive. My legs just wouldn't work. Altitude sickness? I checked my mental faculties and I seemed as crazy as normal so I pushed on. Eventually I found my feet and I was flying! Wow, so light, so free! This was wonderful! The trail was difficult  & scary with vertical drops of 3000'-4000' and "windows" with chutes dropping off to infinity; narrow & rocky with patches of large boulders and conversely, easy sand. I was very late in the day to attempt summiting and a couple of people warned me it'd take 2-2.5 hrs (one sweet girl said it took her 3h45m!), but they didn't know how invigorated I'd just become - I made it in 1h10m. Not bad after 16.5 miles and who knows, 5-6000' feet gain? 
(This was the actual trail!)

I hit the summit at 4:15pm and was the only one atop the world! (okay, poetic license) It was amazing and emotional - the end of a long, hard journey. Whitney is the terminus of the JMT; bit silly as that strands you 14,500' in the air, so really, it's a bit longer than advertised.  But I couldn't stay long; the weather was a gift as it was clear as could be but storms roll in quick in this part of the world and the highest point in the continental USA was not the place to be. I also had 4.1 very steep miles with 99 switchback to get down to safety. I took some selfies (wish my arms were longer!), then ran back to my pack.


Reality hit me like a sledgehammer when I put the big pack back on. Ooph! I immediately dumped 1 litre of water but I couldn't go 3 steps without torturous breathing, like someone was trying to pull out a lung with each breath I took. The .2 miles UPHILL(!) to Trail Crest were the hardest steps of my life. What happened? Thank God for the downhill switchbacks. The long sandy & teeny weeny 3-step long rocky switchbacks. Every one closer to camp and my bed.

Whoa! Who turned the lights out? The switchbacks are almost in the dark. The Whitney ridge runs north-south and so about 5:45 pm the sun disappears over the edge and the east is in twilight. With no plans to try to find a site and set up my tent in the dark I scurried faster. Whew, 7:30pm I find a little walled-in patch, threw up my tent, had a salami sandwich and called it a night.


Today's Miles: 20.7


Day 17


3:19am: So close to done. 6 miles and 4000', can I leave now? Nope, still dark. 

4:30am: how 'bout now? If I have a coffee then pack the tent, will it be light enough then? Let's try.

5:15am: the first set of little headlamps bobbing in the greyish light start coming up the trail, heading for peak. Soon I'm on the trail too, pushing against the tide of dozens and dozens and dozens of Whitney attemptees as I'm trying to descend. I wish every one a good morning and secretly hope they know what they've gotten themselves into.

8:10am: I'm at Whitney Portal ordering the biggest breakfast ever, buying a shower, and charging my phone so I can figure out how on earth to get home!

Today's Miles: 6.1

2-Day Miles: 26.8 which makes it a Marathon Ending for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment