"Wanderlust"

(wŏn'dər-lŭst') def: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world (Oxford Dictionary)

Friday, April 29, 2011

Madrid

Ah, Madrid. The tourist attractions are few compared to other international cities, but it is incomparable as a city made for walking, eating, and people-watching. And for two glorious days this just what I've done. I napped off my jet leg, meandered the warren of streets around my hotel, laid in bed all morning to watch the royal wedding, and spent 2 short afternoons contemplating art at the Prado. The museum waives its' admission the last 2 hours of each day, which is the perfect window of optimal viewing time before art-overload sets in, and 6-8pm nicely fills the void before the tapas scene starts.

I walked the length of Calle Mayor twice today trying to gain entrance to the Church of Santiago for my first credential stamp, but to no avail. By 7:30pm the closest I had come to anything Camino was this nice little statue of a pilgrim near the Plaza de Sol (and a very old painting of St. James & his stone boat in the Prado).

The weather has been perfect but the skies are darkening now - the rain is on it's way...

1 comment:

  1. Hi, alipilgrim, so glad you are properly stamped and ready to be on your way. Wishing you all the best, enjoy each step! Laurie

    ReplyDelete