"Wanderlust"

(wŏn'dər-lŭst') def: a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world (Oxford Dictionary)

Friday, April 29, 2011

3rd time lucky

I left the Prado with enough time to once again transverse Calle Mayor and get to the Church of Santiago before evening prayers were over. I tiptoed in at the end(?) and listened in dumb fascination to the Spanish catholic service (neither of which I am fluent in). After the wine & cookies were consumed, I thought that the priest might come down the aisle and wish everyone farewell, as my vague protestant memories recollect, and I would then ask him for a sello (stamp). But no, the sneaky little man hightailed it off the stage, leaving the parishioners to blow out the candles! The 4 little old ladies scrammed with their shopping, so I accosted the last person left in the place: a young priest, it so happened. He only spoke Italian and Spanish but "Camino sello" turns out to be international, so he ushered me into the back office and introduced me as a peregrina. The Father couldn't have been more thrilled to meet me and set off on a long story of pilgrims and stars and finding his way (at least that's what I like to think he was saying) and cheerfully stamped my credential. I'm now official! (see the walking staffs and scallop shells in the background?)




Thanks, Allison
 Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment